Skip to content

Change Degree Instructions

Submit a Change Degree Proposal

Types of Changes

  • Name Change
  • Restructure
  • Consolidation
  • Transfer to New Academic Unit

University Policy

Review the applicable policy/policies for the proposal your are completing:

Graduate certificates may be offered to non-matriculated students on a stand-alone basis (meaning they are not enrolled in any other degree seeking program). However, the students must be made aware ahead of time that:

  • As a non-matriculated student they are not eligible for federal aid.
  • If they wish to continue on with a subsequent master's degree (or PhD) , then only 9 credit hours of their certificate coursework may count towards their future degree.

If your intent is to allow students to pursue the graduate certificate on a stand-alone basis, make this clear in your proposal.

Letters of Support

  • Department chair
  • College dean
  • Senior Vice President of Health Science Center (if applicable)
  • Interdisciplinary programs (if applicable)
  • Community/industry (if applicable)

Approval Process

Proposals should be through the department and college approvals at least 10 business days prior to the Undergraduate and/or Graduate Council due dates.

  1. Department/Faculty Committee approval*
  2. College Committee approval*
  3. Undergraduate Council and/or Graduate Council approval
  4. Executive Committee/Academic Senate approval
  5. Board of Trustees approval
  6. Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs (SVP-AA) approval
  7. Commissioner of the Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) notification
  8. Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) notification (if applicable)

* Steps 1 and 2 should be completed prior to submitting a proposal. Evidence of these internal approvals will be demonstrated by the department and college letters of support and a field in the proposal titled "Faculty Consultation."

1-2 individuals will be asked to present proposals at the marked committee meetings.


The status of any proposal can be tracked after submission in under 'My Proposals' at the top of the page.

Submit a Change Degree Proposal

Banner image courtesy of the University of Utah.

Last Updated: 6/28/23