Skip to content

Change Certificate Instructions

Submit a Change Certificate Proposal

Types of Changes

  • Name Change
  • Restructure
  • Consolidation
  • Transfer to New Academic Unit

University Policy

Review the applicable policy/policies for the proposal your are completing:

Graduate certificates may be offered to non-matriculated students on a stand-alone basis (meaning they are not enrolled in any other degree seeking program). However, the students must be made aware ahead of time that:

  • As a non-matriculated student they are not eligible for federal aid.
  • If they wish to continue on with a subsequent master's degree (or PhD) , then only 9 credit hours of their certificate coursework may count towards their future degree.

If your intent is to allow students to pursue the graduate certificate on a stand-alone basis, make this clear in your proposal.

Letters of Support

  • Department chair
  • College dean
  • Senior Vice President of Health Science Center (if applicable)
  • Interdisciplinary programs (if applicable)
  • Community/industry (if applicable)

Approval Process

Proposals should be through the department and college approvals at least 10 business days prior to the Undergraduate or Graduate Council due dates.

  1. Department/Faculty Committee approval*
  2. College Committee approval*
  3. Undergraduate Council approval (if applicable)
    Graduate Council approval (if applicable)
    Non-Credit Committee approval (if applicable)
  4. Executive Committee/Academic Senate approval (if applicable)
  5. Board of Trustees approval
  6. Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs (SVP-AA) approval
  7. Commissioner of the Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) Notification
  8. Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) Notification

* Steps 1 and 2 should be completed prior to submitting a proposal. Evidence of these internal approvals will be demonstrated by the department and college letters of support and a field in the proposal titled "Faculty Consultation."

1-2 individuals will be asked to present proposals at the marked committee meetings.


The status of any proposal can be tracked after submission.

Check Status of Proposal

Submit a Change Certificate Proposal

Banner image courtesy of the University of Utah.

Last Updated: 10/24/22