Skip to content

The Abbreviated Template has been retired. To submit a proposal using the new form, please visit the Program and Unit Proposals page.

Abbreviated Template


The abbreviated templates are for Minors, *Emphases, Certificates, Name Changes, Discontinuations, and Administrative Units (department, colleges, etc.).

Review the steps for submitting a proposal below. Special notice should be taken to the additional requirements from the University of Utah that may not appear on the template but should still be included in the proposal.

*Emphases Note: The abbreviated template is for new emphases for existing degrees. Adding emphases  and a new degree should be filled out using the full template.


Review the policy for what you're proposing on Minors, Undergraduate Emphases, Graduate Emphases, Undergraduate Certificates (20-29 hours), or Graduate Certificates (Additional Graduate Certificates guidelines) (For Centers Click HERE)

Proposals and Documents

These proposals are created by the Board of Regents and they can be difficult to open. You may need to save the document to your computer, open Adobe Acrobat/Reader, click on the document from your desktop. If you still aren't able to open it, please email


Degree/Emphasis Template

Name Change/Discontinuation/Restructure Template

New Administrative Template

Also included are the following:

  • Faculty Consultation - Each proposal must include a description of the process by which faculty in the participating departments or programs were consulted in the preparation of the proposal. Please insert this information in Section II: Program Description/Rationale.
  • 66% by 2020 - Include 1-3 sentences that describes how this proposal will help the University of Utah meet the Governor's call that 66% of Utahns will have a post secondary degree or certificate by 2020. Please insert under Section II: Labor Market Demand section. Click here for more description of 66% of 2020.
  • Learning Outcomes and Assessment - All proposals must include the the expected learning outcomes and a plan for how they are going to be assessed. Please insert this in Section II: Program Description/Rationale. If you need guidance on learning outcomes, you can find it HERE.

Note: Chief Academic Officer Signature (CAO) signature will be collected for you after the Trustees approval. Do not sign the proposal.

Letters of Support

  1. Department Chair/Director
  2. College Dean
  3. Interdisiplinary Programs should collect letters from participating areas
  4. You may also include letters from community and/or industry

Additional Documents

  1. Name Changes/Consolidations Only: Internal Name Change Form
  2.  NWCCU document (Except Minors & Certificates under 30 Credits) and NWCCU Budget document (NEW)
    1. Example of NWCCU-Emphases & Example of NWCCU-Discontinuation
  3. Graduate Certificates


  • Narrative should be a formal style, using third person
  • Click in date fields to access calendar tool.
  • Click Control + E within a text box to open text formatting controls.
  • Text can be composed in word processing software, then cut and pasted into the text fields.
  • For sections that do not apply, type N/A. Note: Additional information may be requested in order to evaluate any proposal or reports submitted.
  • Please direct questions or comments to or 801-587-7843.


  1. Submit Proposal and Supporting Documents to by the deadline (10 business days before council meeting)
  2. The proposal will go through the following Approval Process: 
    1. Department/Faculty Committee Approval
    2. College Committee Approval
    3. Undergraduate and/or Graduate Council
    4. Executive Committee/Academic Senate
    5. Board of Trustees
    6. Notification to Board of Regents/USHE
    7. Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)  - Except programs less than 30 credits
  3. 1-2 individuals will be asked to present the proposal at the Undergraduate/Graduate Council and at the Executive Committee/Academic Senate.
  4. You/Campus will be notified of final approval ONLY at that point can you begin operations or advertisement. You can check the status HERE.

Graduate Certificates

Graduate certificates can be offered to non-matriculated students on a stand-alone basis (meaning they are not enrolled in any other degree seeking program). However, the students must be made aware ahead of time that

a) As a non-matriculated student they are not eligible for federal aid.

b) If they wish to continue on with a subsequent master's degree (or PhD) , then only 9 credit hours of

    their certificate coursework may count towards their future degree.

If your intent is to allow students to pursue the graduate certificate on a stand-alone basis, please make this clear in your proposal.

Last Updated: 5/28/21